Friday, February 12, 2010

In honor of Valentine's Day

The Clod and the Pebble
by William Blake

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay,
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only Self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a hell in heaven's despite."

I SAY: Let me love someplace in-between, neither malleable as Clay nor hard as a Pebble; let me live with my Love neither in Heaven nor Hell, but here on earth. I would write this in verse if only I could. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent this blog. Congratulations.
    Daniel d. Peaceman, writer and editor of CHMagazine

    ReplyDelete